Even with a little planning ahead (the chicken needs to be marinated the night before or morning of cooking), the payoff-coming home to pop a tray of fragrant, sweet and spicy chicken and sweet potatoes in the oven for a quick and healthy dinner-is worth the extra work for this recipe. And really, marinating isn't much work at all! Adapted from In The Kitchen With A Good Appetite.
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4chipotles in adobo sauce, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2 pounds chicken breast tenders (or chicken breasts pounded to 3/4-inch thickness, sliced into strips)
- 6sweet potatoes, peeled, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 24 hours before you plan on eating: Mix 1 tablesoon olive oil, chilies, garlic, honey, vinegar, salt, cumin, and cinnamon together in a small bowl. Pour into a large Ziploc bag. Rinse chicken tenders, pat dry, and trim any fat, then place in the bag. Close the bag and squish around to coat chicken with marinade. Refrigerate for eight to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook: Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- In a large baking pan, toss together remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil, sweet potatoes, and an additional sprinkling of sea salt. Roast for 30 minutes, stirring once.
- Add marinated chicken tenders to the sweet potato pan, and continue to bake for 10 minutes, until chicken is cooked through (no pink in the middle) and juices run clear.