One of my favorite healthy creations lately has been this white bean, turkey, and kale soup. It's perfect for cold dreary days when you're craving warm comfort food. If you're not a meat eater, this recipe can be easily adapted by substituting more beans in place of the turkey.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4garlic cloves, minced
- 4stalks celery, chopped
- 2carrots, thinly sliced
- 2 teaspoons dried Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil (optional)
- 2bay leaves
- 5 cups low-sodium chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 2 cups cooked white navy beans
- 2 cups shredded kale
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (optional)
- Heat olive oil in a large pot over medium heat for 1 minute. Add garlic, celery, carrots, and all spices. Stir veggies constantly for 3 minutes or until fragrant.
- Add vegetable stock. Cover pot and simmer over medium-low heat for 15 minutes.
- Stir in turkey and navy beans. Cover pot and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add kale and parsley, if desired. Switch off heat and stir until leaves are just wilted, about 1 minute.